11 Sep 2012

My first screenprint

After watching Gerry visiting Edinburgh Print over the last couple of years, and making the most amazing prints, I decided to have a go too. It was a weekend course, so when my sister asked what I'd like for my birthday, I asked for two nights in a nearby hotel, which was great.

Anyway... Day 1



I decided I'd print something from my sketchbook. It's a drawing of some figurines in a museum cabinet. First I made acetate colour separations. Because we had limited time it was suggested we just use 3 colours and black, so I decided to use yellow, blue and red, and overlap them to make green, purple and brown too. So 6 colours out of 3.

We cleaned our screens, then coated them with light sensitive emulsion. Then lay the acetate sheets onto the screen and exposed it in a light box. This means the emulsion sets hard everywhere except for the places masked by the drawing.



Then we used a high pressure washer to rinse away the unexposed emulsion on the drawn areas.

Next we fitted the screen to the printing table and printed our first layer. Hey presto! It worked, not that I doubted it, but it's a thrill to actually see the image there, printed! So here is the print after the first two layers, blue and red.



Day 2

We washed the screens and prepared the next two layers. Then when the screens were dry we printed our final colours. It was amazing! My 3 colours really did make 6, and I am really pleased with the results. I tried to keep my print nice and loose, similar to my drawing, and I think I've done that. But next time I might tighten up slightly, just to that I can line the layers up more accurately. I'm quite pleased though, and I can't wait to go back, I think this is going to be my new obsession!


1 comment:

  1. I never really enjoyed printing when I tried it at college but your results are fantastic! :)
    Jess x x

    ReplyDelete